The product is made from
The packaging material is made from paper or plastic.
Virgin pulp fibers are produced out of softwood or hardwood. The wood is subject to chemical and/or mechanical processes where the cellulose fibers are separated out and lignin and other residuals are removed.
Bleaching is a cleaning process of the fibers and the aim is to achieve a bright pulp, but also to get a certain purity of the fiber in order to achieve the demands for hygiene products and in some cases to meet the requirements for food safety.
There are different methods used today for bleaching: ECF (elementary chlorine free, where chlorine dioxide is used, and TCF (totally chlorine free) where ozone, oxygen and hydrogen peroxide is used.
All chemicals (process aids as well as additives) are assessed from an environmental, occupational health and safety and product safety point of view.
To control product performance we use additives:
- Wet strength agents (for Wipers and Hand Towels)
- Dry strength agents (is used together with mechanical treatment of the pulp to make strong products like wipers)
- For colored papers dyes and fixatives (to secure perfect fastness of the color) are added
- For printing products printing inks (pigments with carriers and fixatives) are applied
- For multi ply products we often use water soluble glue to secure the integrity of the product
In most of our mills we do not add optical brighteners.
We do not use softeners for professional hygiene products.
High product quality is secured through quality and hygiene management systems throughout production, storage and transport.
In order to maintain a stable process and product quality the paper manufacturing process is supported by the following chemicals/ process aids:
- defoamers (surfactants and dispersing agents)
- pH-control (sodium hydroxide and sulphuric acid)
- retention aids (chemicals that help to agglomerate small fibers to prevent fiber loss)
- Coating chemicals (that help to control the creping of the paper to make it soft and absorbent)
To reuse broke we use:
- Pulping aid (chemicals that help to repulp wet strong paper)
In the cleaning of our waste water we use flocculation agents and nutritients for the biological treatment to secure that no negative impact on water quality comes from our mills.
This product fulfills the legislative requirements for Food Contact materials, confirmed by external certification performed by a third party. The product is safe for wiping food contact surfaces and may also come occasionally into contact with foodstuffs for a short period of time.
This product is certified for the EU Ecolabel and FSC®.
Fulfilment of Packaging and Packaging Waste Directive (94/62/EC): Yes
Article creation date and latest article revision
Date of issue: 2019-08-21
Revision date: 2019-12-07
This product is produced at ALTOPASCIO mill, IT and certified according to FSC Chain-Of-Custody, ISO 14001 (Environmental management systems), ISO 9001, and OHSAS 18001.
This product is suitable in normal waste handling systems by the community. Used products should not be handled over to recycling systems.
Essity Hygiene and Health AB, 405 03 GÖTEBORG, Sweden